Chicago Anchors for a Strong Economy (CASE), an initiative of World Business Chicago, acts as a catalyst to create inclusive economic growth by leveraging anchor procurement to collectively impact Chicago Neighborhoods. More specifically, CASE enables anchors to individually and collectively support the vitality of their neighborhoods by sourcing and qualifying local, small to medium sized neighborhood businesses (including MBE and WBE firms) to supply the products and services anchors need.
CASE is seeking a Business Relationship Manager (BRM) for a full time position that reports to the Program Director of CASE to help support small businesses in their pursuit of contracting opportunities with large institutions. The BRM would be responsible for managing a proprietary online business assessment and matchmaking platform including the user experience for small businesses and anchors.
The BRM will join an entrepreneurial team in building our initiative. The BRM will shape CASE’s business interactions by providing analysis of local businesses as potential suppliers for our anchors as well as for business development opportunities. The ideal applicant will have direct experience of working with/supporting small businesses, interest product management, and demonstrated knowledge and interest in economic development.
The Business Relationship Manager partners with the Anchor Relationship Manager (ARM) to drive economic growth and the achievement of CASE goals as it pertains to local revenue growth and job creation. The BRM will be responsible for:
- Manage the experience and relationships with businesses interested in CASE programming and qualified businesses interacting with CASE Anchors. Serve as a single point of contact, information resource, and implementation support for the participating businesses.
- Advocate on behalf of the businesses, bringing forth business needs, opportunities and concerns to the CASE team, CASE leadership, WBC team and others to enable cumulative success.
- Help support the CASE team to maintain strong relationships and provide value to Anchors to promote anchor renewals, drive anchor sponsorship, and enable anchors to act
- Facilitate creation and execution of Anchor Action Plans through the business development and neighborhood development strategies by identifying ‘High Impact Businesses’ with opportunities to grow with anchors executed through ‘High impact projects’. Support routine reviews on progress against Anchor Action Plan and goals around high impact projects led by businesses
Assessment and Matchmaking Software
- Act as project manager to recruit businesses for assessment and inclusion in the CASE business network to create a pipeline of vetted suppliers, track business progress and provide reports to businesses and community partners on outputs and progress
- Recruit and train a team of part-time staff to put businesses through the Diagnostic Tool process including collecting and analyzing financials, conducting interviews, and providing recommendations to businesses
- Act as a product manager to gather the requirements from anchors, CASE team, businesses, partners to develop, expand the online assessment and matchmaking platform. Lead project management for the management of the technology platform
Small Business Expert
- Serve as the in-house ‘small business expert’ to support and guide the CASE team as a strategic thought partner, help identify opportunities to advance, mature, and shape the CASE mission
- Possess and build knowledge, skills, and attitude to navigate through different organizations within the Chicagoland small business ecosystem, foster relationships with key stakeholders, understand key business drivers, and help maximize the value of CASE for participating businesses
CASE and WBC Team Support
- Understand and be fluent about the vision, goals, value proposition and benefits of CASE to be communicated across diverse stakeholders and within all levels of the organization
- Collaborate with other members of the CASE and WBC team to achieve the mission and vision of CASE (ex: marketing, business development, initiative leads, fellows, etc.)
- Help build, develop, refine and update metrics capturing impact for all stakeholders
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s degree preferred
- At least 5 years of business development, project and product management experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent project management skills, organization and appropriate level of detail orientation
- Professional, and respectful communicator with active listening skills, strong presentation skills, discovery and facilitation skills, and ability to develop strategy to drive progress against goals.
- Strong understanding of Chicago’s small business community and resources (including technical assistance providers)
- Experience and knowledge of institutional procurement and supply chain management processes preferred
- Proficient with Microsoft Office, familiar with Salesforce.com or another CRM tool
- Ability to work well with others in a small, fast-paced, team-oriented environment
- Ability to work in an entrepreneurial environment
Interested candidates should send cover letter and resume directly to HR@worldbusinesschicago.com