Chicago Anchors for a Strong Economy (CASE) is seeking a graduate intern to work in conjunction with both the Business Relationship Manager and the Business Relationship Associate to support both the supply- and demand-side of the matchmaking process.
Since 2014, CASE has served as a matchmaker of procured products and services between anchor institutions and local businesses. As a business service provider through the end of 2015, CASE provided technical assistance to over 200 local businesses through a curriculum that addressed business development, change management, executive leadership, financial management, marketing, organizational planning, procurement, strategic planning and talent management. The supply-side focus yielded significant returns, with participating businesses reporting over 180 new jobs as a result of new contracts worth an excess of $50M. As a true startup, CASE is evolving every day and has modified the model to focus on targeted matchmaking to more effectively leverage the purchasing power of its network of anchor institutions. The intern will undergo a week-long orientation and training process and receive mentoring and support from organizational staff. Interns are also exposed to networking and professional education opportunities through World Business Chicago. The intern will report to the Business Relationship Associate and support the Business Relationship Manager.
- Lead the Targeted Matchmaking process, which connects Chicagoland vendors to business opportunities coming from CASE’s network of 16 anchor institutions
- Assist with quantitatively measuring CASE’s impact
- Assist with the management of large and complex datasets
- Assist with the scheduling and facilitation of Dx Tool interviews with participating local businesses to assess across key dimensions, including financial capacity, performance capacity, operational capacity and organizational capacity
- Assist with analyzing and inputting financial data (income statements and balance sheets)
- Support outreach to Chicagoland businesses for engagement in the Dx Tool
- Performing other duties as required to support the day-to-day operations of CASE
- Currently seeking a graduate degree in business administration, urban planning (specializing in economic development), or other related field
- Experience in management and organizing of complex databases is required
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Excel and the Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to read and analyze financial statements, with experience in finance, accounting or business-related training preferred
- Demonstrated relationship building experience and ability to work collaboratively with a team
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects in a fast-paced work environment
- Be an analytical and creative thinker able to help CASE develop stronger relationships with the local businesses community
- Passion for supporting Chicago’s small- and medium-sized business community
The position is a paid, year-long commitment, beginning in May 2017. Experience here can be used towards class credit or other analogous academic requirements.
The ideal candidate is extremely detail‐oriented. The candidate should have the ability to deliver high-quality outputs on time with the ability to work well independently or with a team, and should have a demonstrated ability to communicate and work effectively with executive level leadership. We seek candidates with strong interpersonal written/verbal communications skills and a passion for civic engagement and economic development.
This position is available immediately / 30-40 hours per week, based upon availability, with a 6-month commitment and possibility for extension
If interested, please send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com with the subject “Graduate Associate, Business”.