Making Chicago a premier destination for tourism and entertainment is a major part of Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s Plan for Economic Growth & Jobs that WBC is implementing to drive growth in Chicago. Choose Chicago, the official destination marketing organization for Chicago, also plays an integral role in economic growth by attracting business and leisure visitors to the city.
The following points summarize recent hotel and air passenger trends for Chicago:
- Chicago’s overall hotel occupancy rate was 82.9% in September, down from 86.7% a year ago.
- The overall average daily rate (ADR) was $231.43 in September, down slightly from $234.71 in September 2014.
- The Chicago Central Business District has 115 hotel properties comprising more than 39,105 rooms. Recently opened hotels include the Freehand Hostel and Hotel (217 rooms), AC by Marriott (217 rooms), and the Hampton Inn Chicago Downtown/N Loop/Michigan Ave (144 rooms).
- More than 3,100 new rooms are expected to open in the next two years, including the Chinatown Hotel (101 rooms, 2016), LondonHouse (452 rooms, 2016), and Marriott Marquis (1,200 rooms, 2017).
- O’Hare – the world’s busiest airport in terms of flight operations – and Midway International airports served a combined 9.37 million air passengers in August 2015, a 8.1% increase over last August.
Average daily rate and occupancy trends are illustrated in the following charts:
Chaired by Mayor Rahm Emanuel, World Business Chicago is the public-private partnership leading the Plan for Economic Growth and Jobs in order to drive business development, cultivate talent, and put Chicago at the forefront of the global economy.
WBC’s “Economic Briefs” track indicators from month to month to gauge the strength of several aspects of Chicago’s economy, including unemployment, population, venture capital, job openings and new hires, home sales, tourism, etc. This data provides a clear analytic framework for specific Plan strategies and initiatives. For a summary of these and other economic indicators, refer to WBC’s monthly Chicago By The Numbers.