World Business Chicago is seeking qualified candidates for a paid Development Internship position starting October 2017 and ending February 2018.
This position will report to the Chief Development Officer and work closely with the Director of Corporate Engagement. The Development team provides both direct fundraising and development support activities to sustain and enhance the institutional mission and works collaboratively across the organization.
Some of the work done by the incumbent Development/Strategic Initiatives Intern included:
- Developed a Competitive Analysis of Chicago and National Fellowship Programs and presented findings to the CEO, the Director of Strategic Initiatives, and members of the Fellowship Advisory Board
- Provided planning support for Fall, 2017 Economic Growth Event
- Researched companies across Chicago, granting an exceptional understanding of the corporate landscape in Chicago
- Aided in attraction of and outreach to Fortune 1000 companies and Chicago start-ups through the corporate partnerships and executive offices
- Aided in recruitment and orientation for corporate, organizational, and individual partners for expansion of the World Business Chicago Fellowship Program
- Assisted with implementation, outreach, and planning of WBC’s 2017 Consular Corps Gala
- Assisted with event planning and logistics for corporate partners and Fellow
The position offers the opportunity to work directly with World Business Chicago’s Chief Development Officer and Director of Corporate Partnerships. The Development intern will assist the team in developing and implementing strategies for growth by building and stewarding robust, meaningful partnerships with current and prospective corporate, philanthropic and individual partners. Responsibilities of the position include internal communications, fundraising, data management, event management and corporate/foundation engagement. Internship is available for university credit.
- Conducting research on prospects, including individuals, corporations and foundations identified by development officers as potential sources of resources for programs, projects and initiatives at WBC. In addition, conducts ongoing research in business, philanthropy and related fields to identify potential funders/donors and sources of donor information.
- Providing assistance meeting preparation and scheduling, company research, internal/external communications, and limited PR and marketing responsibilities.
- Preparing a variety of reports including contact and giving history and prospect information using a variety of data sources.
- Presenting results of research in the form of written reports which include, as appropriate, both detailed information organized to facilitate retrieval and analyses of the significance of the information. Reports may include copies of resource materials as needed. Prepares copies of reports for inclusion in research files for use of other research and development staff.
- Participating in the formulation of fund-raising strategy organization-wide and specific projects through meetings and discussions with Development staff. Makes recommendations about appropriate contacts or visits for development staff. Assists development team and others colleagues who are fundraising in related activities as assigned.
- Assisting in identifying and marking materials for inclusion in prospect, project and funder files and in maintenance of other record-keeping systems.
- Remaining current with events and trends in local, national and international business, economic development and philanthropy.
- Acquires and maintains current knowledge of public activities and internal projects, policies and procedures of the WBC.
- Collaborating with members of corporate/foundation teams in the achievement of goals.
- October 2017 start date
- Available through February 2018
- Minimum of 20 hours per week, maximum of 29 hours per week
Interested candidates should submit their resume to HR@WorldBusinessChicago.com.