World Business Chicago (WBC) is a public-private, non-profit partnership that drives inclusive economic growth and job creation, supports business, and promotes Chicago as a leading global city. www.worldbusinesschicago.com
Chicago Sister Cities International (CSCI), an initiative of World Business Chicago, advances Chicago as a global city and promotes peace through mutual respect, understanding, and cooperation through citizen diplomacy – one individual, one community at a time – for the benefit of Chicago and its sister cities. To accomplish its mission, Chicago Sister Cities International develops programs in the areas of cultural arts and tourism, global education, government relations, and international business. www.chicagosistercities.com
Global Youth Ambassadors Leadership Summit
A joint program of Chicago Sister Cities International (CSCI) and the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC), the Global Youth Ambassadors Leadership Summit is an intensive leadership program in Chicago designed to build the next generation of global leaders. It is open to teenage girls, ages 14–16, from Chicago and its 28 international sister cities. As emerging leaders in their own communities, the Summit equips the girls to become agents of positive change in the world.
Over 70 girls from Chicago and around the world have participated in the Global Youth Ambassadors Leadership Summit, which aims to:
- Empower emerging leaders
- Teach strategies for leadership, advocacy and activism
- Inspire young women to become agents of change
- Build a network of globally minded leaders
The fourth annual Summit will take place July 20-27, 2019. Twenty-six participants are selected via a competitive application process. There is no cost for participants to attend the Summit. CSCI funds awardees’ Summit registration fee and travel expenses to attend the week-long Summit, including dorm accommodations at the University of Illinois at Chicago, roundtrip airfare to Chicago, meals, and local transportation. http://www.chicagosistercities.com/initiative/global-youth-ambassadors/
Lead Coordinator Description
The Lead Coordinator plays a very important role in the success of the Summit. This is an opportunity to take part in the planning and execution of the Global Youth Ambassadors Leadership Summit. The ideal candidate is passionate about girl’s leadership development and fostering a learning environment, and has a background in running overnight camps. The Lead Coordinator will lead the supervisory and safety procedures for staff and participants and will oversee day-to-day functions of the Summit. The lead coordinator will report to the Deputy Director of CSCI.
- Ensure a quality experience in a safe and fun environment for all Summit participants.
- Create and implement protocol for prescription and over-the-counter medicine use.
- Update health intake forms and release forms for participants and chaperones.
- Update the Code of Conduct for participants, chaperones and staff.
- Update the training manual for staff, chaperones, and volunteers.
- Be the main point of contact for participants, their parents and their chaperones as relates to health and safety issues.
- Update the Protection of Minors risk and emergency management plan in accordance with UIC’s policies.
- Conduct background checks for staff and chaperones.
- Coordinate travel insurance.
- Interview, train and manage volunteer coordinators.
- Develop routines, schedules, and procedures for dorms.
- Plan and lead on-site training (safety, procedural, and emergency plans).
- Create and supervise opening-and closing-day procedures for staff and participants; develop and manage check-in and check-out policies and procedures for dorms.
- Observe participant behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate behavior-management techniques.
- Track and respond to any issues that may arise during the Summit.
- Work with UIC’s Meetings and Conferences team for dorm needs and assignments.
- Manage supplies, first aid, and snacks for dorms and off-site visits.
- Provide leadership to participants.
- Accompany staff and participants at site locations.
- Facilitate group ice-breakers, conversation and project work.
- Prepare a variety of correspondence, reports and other materials, including post-Summit report.
- Other assignments as defined by Deputy Director and CSCI staff.
The ideal candidate has demonstrable experience running an overnight camp; developing the administrative and safety procedures of a camp; overseeing camp staff; and has current CPR and first aid certifications.
Skills and Competencies
The ideal candidate is highly organized and detail-oriented; has program management skills; has the ability to deliver high-quality outputs on time; works well independently and with a team; and has the ability to provide necessary instructions to participants and get their attention quickly and effectively. The Lead Coordinator needs to be able to communicate and work well with a diverse and international group of young and emerging leaders and treat them with dignity and respect. The candidate needs to have the physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid and be able to assist participants in an emergency.
Foreign language skills a plus, but not required.
Terms of Employment
This is an independent contractual position that will run from May to August, 2019. During the Summit planning stages, hours are as needed to complete tasks, and will increase leading up to the Summit. The lead coordinator is required to stay in the UIC dorms beginning the week prior to the Summit, until the Summit concludes and all participants have departed.
As the position requires working with minors during the week of the Summit, the applicant is required to undergo background screening.
Pay will be commensurate with experience.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Lead Coordinator.”
Due to the large volume of applications we receive, we cannot reply individually to each applicant. Once you send your application, please do not contact us unless we ask you for further information. World Business Chicago is an equal opportunity employer.