World Business Chicago (WBC) is seeking a Graduate Associate to aid the ChicagoNEXT team in the management of the 2018 Chicago Venture Summit. The Associate will serve as the primary coordinator of the 2018 summit, reporting to the ChicagoNEXT Executive Director and receiving leadership, engagement and direction from the ChicagoNEXT Chair, the 2018 Chicago Venture Summit Steering Committee and other relevant stakeholders.
The Associate will have an interest in Chicago’s technology and venture capital community and some experience working with startup firms. The Associate will have excellent project management, organization and communication skills, and an ability to thrive in complex environments and manage multiple work-streams simultaneously.
ChicagoNEXT leads World Business Chicago’s dedicated effort to drive growth and opportunity for Chicago’s tech economy. Governed by a council of technology leaders, ChicagoNEXT’s strategic focus areas include capital, talent, industry and community.
About the Chicago Venture Summit
The Chicago Venture Summit (CVS) is the Midwest’s premier investor conference, offering one-on-one access to emerging companies, convening of local Fortune 500 leaders and national attention to Chicago’s growing startup scene. At the 2018 Chicago Venture Summit, invited entrepreneurs will feature promising technology companies that have already raised capital but are seeking additional financing. Attendees will also get an inside look at how prominent venture capital firms assess investment opportunities, learn strategies of corporate venture arms and hear how Chicago’s universities develop top talent and entrepreneurship. The most recent 2017 summit attracted nearly 150 investment firms and 230 venture capitalists that represented more than $20 billion in investment capital.
- Work with stakeholders to develop event agenda and themes
- Support, and in some cases lead, outreach efforts to speakers
Venture Capital & Technology Community Engagement
- Successfully manage multiple relationships with various stakeholders in Chicago’s venture capital and technology community.
- Manage and build sponsorship program.
Project Management & Operations
- Serve as primary project manager for CVS 2018 with all partners and vendors including ChicagoNEXT and the CVS 2018 steering committee.
- Ensure that all projects are delivered on-time, within scope and within budget.
- Maintain comprehensive project documentation.
- Manage and support communications strategy with selected public affairs firm to advertise and build awareness of CVS 2018.
- Contribute to communications products, including outreach plans, press releases and blog posts to drive awareness of CVS 2018.
- Manage maintenance and updates for program website and other relevant digital and social media assets.
- Manage event logistics, including vendor relationships, venture capital participation, and corporate engagement for all Venture Summit programs and related initiatives.
- Support development of program content, activities and promotional strategy.
Desired Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to work effectively across a variety of skill areas, including project management, communications, content creation, event planning and execution.
- Awareness of and experience working within Chicago’s venture and technology community.
- Commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including WBC staff, board members, government stakeholders, and outside advisors.
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently as well as with a team; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives.
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills.
- Commitment to deliver against deadlines; ability to handle high priority and pressure situations.
- Entrepreneurial approach is a must, and experience working in a startup environment with evolving priorities and processes preferred.
- Current graduate student – preferred majors include finance, entrepreneurship and marketing.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite applications.
- Financial budget and reporting experience.
- Dedicate 29 hours per week for a minimum of 8 weeks between May 7 – August 31
Interested candidates should submit their cover letter and resume to HR@WorldBusinessChicago.com. Please indicate the title of the internship of which you are applying.