About Neighborhood & Strategic Initiatives: The Neighborhood & Strategic Initiatives department promotes neighborhood strengths as sites for business location and expansion, connects small and medium-sized businesses with opportunities for growth, and creates workforce strategies to build a strong talent pipeline and open pathways to employment.
Background: World Business Chicago is seeking a team member to aid the Neighborhood & Strategic Initiatives (NSI) team in managing a small and medium (“micro”) business resource platform titled “Sourcelink” for Chicago businesses. The key responsibility of this position is to provide a direct link between services within the network and the entrepreneurs and small business owners in the community who need these services. This team member will report to the NSI Executive Vice President and will serve as the primary contact for businesses and non-profits using the platform. They will also coordinate with City of Chicago departments and various community-based organizations to develop content for the platform. This individual will have an interest in entrepreneurship, community and economic development, as well as experience in customer service communications. reviews of both quantitative and qualitative data.
Responsibilities: The responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Work with stakeholders to improve the website’s content related to city services and incentives, small business financing options, and other key areas organized by growth stage and industry
- Work with the City and other stakeholders to update content regularly in conjunction with new city initiatives, changes in department responsibilities, licensing, etc.
- Coordinate a semi-annual convening of resource providers to roll out new content and understand changes in their local business communities that might necessitate updates to the platform
Outreach & Research
- Develop and maintain a working knowledge of small business development organizations and their programs and services
- Meet with EDO’s throughout the city to obtain feedback on the greatest needs of micro businesses in their neighborhoods, and develop a plan to incorporate any key findings into the site content
- Build and maintain good working relationships with network resource partners; understand partner needs and facilitate joint activities
- Follow-up with clients to ensure quality assistance
- Develop training materials to help resource partners and clients become knowledgeable about network programs and services
- Seek opportunities to promote SourceLink throughout the community including speaking engagements, business expositions and networking events
- Develop and maintain the database(s) necessary to support client tracking and other network operations; help train resource partners in use of database(s) and assist in their use.
- Develop and implement evaluation surveys for clients and resource partners.
- Perform research as requested by funders, resource partners and others.
- Assist in coordinating other WBC responsibilities per the site development project plan
- Coordinate with the marketing team on communication plan to push the site out to businesses
- Run weekly status calls with the software developer and key stakeholders
- Act as direct contact for micro-businesses and resource providers to add or update profiles and make referrals
- Track interactions with client base in a consistent manner that allows for comparability and streamlined data capture using CRM software
- Develop reporting materials for sharing data with both internal and external stakeholders, and in marketing materials
- Proactively review business profiles in the platform for potential needs Assist resource providers in managing shared programming calendar in the CRM software tool
- Prepare monthly reporting briefs for the executive team on usage metrics, common needs
- Bachelor’s Degree required, preferably in urban planning, business administration (emphasis on entrepreneurship), or economics degree
- Direct experience with the entrepreneurial process is preferred, with at least two years of experience in entrepreneurial operations or business engagement.
- Bilingual candidates (English and Spanish) are encouraged.
- At least 4 – 5 years of experience in business services/support, community economic development
- Familiarity with customer relationship management software
- Understanding the needs of entrepreneurs at various levels including start-up and growth phases.
- Ability to analyze challenges with small/medium (“micro”) businesses and be a problem-solver
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite applications
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Professional and respectful communicator with active listening skills
- Strong understanding of Chicago’s business community and neighborhoods
- Ability to work well with others in a small, fast-paced, team-oriented environment
This is a grant-funded position; employment is subject to the availability of grant funding.
If Interested, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
World Business Chicago
177 N. State St., Ste. 500
Chicago, IL 60601